Taugeh

As ppl graduate and leave.. it has dawned to me that there's no new ppl on the floor this year. No new ppl in the department as well. How dissapointing... We need new recruits into the group, preferably someone who eats and drinks more than me and asian... I don't want to be the only asian representative...

There's a lot of fun in hanging out with a group of multicultural, good natured ppl. For example, after dining at a vietnamese noodle restaurant, my spanish friend decided she would like to buy some bean sprouts from the chinese groceries right next to it. I showed her where they were and she put about a handful in the plastic bag.

"Ah... that's quite little... what are you going to do with them?" I know there was something wrong with this picture, not too sure what...

"Just eat them raw, like at the noodle house." She replied matter-a-fact-ly.

"Ok.. emm.. ok. That's quite little... I guess you can stir fry them with other vegetables too.. " True that I just ate some raw taugeh at the noodle house as well...

"You do that? Yeah, I can try that." She looked pleasantly surprised.

"That is really quite little, probably cost you 10 cents or so, but yeah..." I don't know, I wanted to say I've never seen anyone bought like 30 taugehs.. but... I guess there's no real reason why you cannot do it...

I wandered off with another friend to the exit while she and the belgium guy went to pay for their stuff, one purchase each. As you can expect she got a weird look from the cashier when she paid for her bag of bean sprouts, "Total... 7 cents." I got blamed for the rest of the night as a 'terrible friend'...

Good times. But sometimes I can't help feeling as if I am living in an alternative universe. Speaking a foreign language, hanging out with ppl who look nothing like me at all... I miss some good old CH mandarin and malay-hokkien-english. I'll even settle for cantonese. I miss stupid jokes like Johnny Confucius. I like saying the four original words as oppose to 'monkey picking peaches/grapes', because the essence is gone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog