Two consecutive sunny weekends so far. Sure enough I found a way to get hurt in both weekends. Last week I fell off the bike uphill, thinking momentum would bring me over the bump, well, it was too steep for momentum and too fast for me to change gears. Next thing I know I was sliding backwards. It wasn't a bad fall, no bruises, but I did get bumped off the seat - I won't go into the details of where exactly took most of the force. (Biking is a weird sport that way). The next day there was a strange discomfort in my.. lower abdominal area, like I was about to have a diarrhea... but not really. Took me a while to figure out it must be from the fall - something was cramped up, just not sure what. By thursday I decided I should go to the gym since sitting around made me felt like I was having cramps. Felt better, I went again next day and it felt even better.

That brings us to Saturday. Awesome 20+ weather. Pride parade. I biked downtown, took pictures of the float, D's outfit and met up with ppl from the floor. Went to look for a pairs of runners but can't find any. Either no one, or everyone in Edmonton has size 6 feet. By the time I was done it was BBQ time. Two beers and some hamburgers later, I sprained my left ankle on my first freebie jump. Spent the rest of the evening playing with my friend's dogs, it was either that or I joined in on a conversation about relationships with the other two girls. Evidently I am more fit to hang out with dogs in that respect. My ankle felt worse over the night, and by the time I had to go to the washroom in the middle of the night, load bearing was impossible - I was hopping to the washroom. On the way back, I groggily hopped to the kitchen and put two ice cubes in a plastic bag. Then I hopped back, placed the bag on top of my blanket around my ankle. I remember having 3 thoughts before I fell back to sleep: 1) hopping half-awake is a really bad idea, 2) this bag better not leak and 3) thank goodness I live in a small bachelor.

Sunday. Sunny, I woke up with the plastic bag on the floor, guess I had the sense to take it off when I was unconscious. Carpet dry. Awesome. I had cereal and limped my way to the coffee place. When I was done I decided it was too nice of a day to stay indoor, also, the more I sit the worse it felt. So I tried to get on my bike. It was an 'AHA!' moment when I realized it didn't hurt during pedaling - as long as I don't stop/fall in a situation that requires my left foot to hold my weight, I would be fine. I ended up being out for 1.5 hour, and even discover a new trail because I was going slow. Then groceries shopping. Suddenly completing every task feels more satisfying than usual. It was an interesting feeling. A few ppl were looking at me when I was limping at the grocery store, likely out of concern, but it reminded me of what a patient told me last week - she didn't want to go out in public for months after her stroke because ppl would stare at her. She is in her early 40s. I don't know, maybe it is some sort of phobia, the more you are aware of how bad it could be, the more you are afraid of being one. So this might sound like a cliche, but make time for whatever it is that makes you happy, whenever you can... and try to enjoy every moment of it. There will be a day when we can't do it anymore, and it might arrive sooner than we expect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog