Back from California. I don't know if there's a better place that screams summer like Cali. Well, I'm sure there is, but for the sake of my own satisfaction let's assume there isn't... I have a ridiculous farmer's tan right now and I need a good reason. Ridiculous as in this farmer not only have distinct tan lines that explained clothing, but also tan patches that explained watch wearing (one that migrated along the wrist on different days) and the lack of sunscreen around it.
There were so many good things about this trip. First day was OC. The driver from LAX to Huntington was funny and chatty. Upon arriving to Huntington I had my first experience at living in a motel. Despite comforting reviews, I never like the idea of motels, somehow they felt sketchy. Anyway, this one looks decent, but smells sketchy. Ran by a Korean lady who was very worried about me using the phone for long distance calling. I spent the first afternoon at Huntington Beach. I forgot how much I miss the beach. It's a happy place, children playing, running and screaming in joy. Adults flying kites or just relaxing. Waves. Clear blue sky. Sea breeze. Bikinis, board shorts, wet suits, surf boards and bikes. (Yes, hot bods everywhere.) Shops by the pier. People every where. Reminds me of our beach vacations when I was a child.
Return to the motel in the evening to meet up with the newly wedded KH for dinner. It's been 10 years since we last saw each other. Met his wife and found out we actually went to the same elementary school. It quickly became an effort to find out if we actually knew each other back then. No conclusions, but it was fun to share stories of haunted washrooms and other things that I didn't know I remember. I had a great time.
The next day I walked by the market and bought some plums+mangoes. Took the bus to the beach again and rented a bike. Learned how to ride these beach cruiser bikes that has reverse pedaling as brakes - I found out when I hit the curb, but no one has to know that. High handles too, like a Harley but not motorized and with basket in front. Went from Huntington to Newport Beach and back. I'm starting to believe that biking might be the love of my life. Then the boys picked me up in a convertible Mustang at the motel to head down to Long Beach for our conference. It was an interesting sight, and quite a contrast. They arrived a day before me and was surfing/partying/living it the California way in Newport. Riding down the road with clubs along the way and wind in our hair, I felt bad they picked up a homeless person in their backseat. Anywho, upon arriving at the hotel this homeless person quickly transformed into a hipster by association. Both our rooms were on the top floor of the hotel, supposedly because someone's dad is a platinum member of whatever it was. We celebrated with drinks, got hungry and went out for happy hour. Ate a whole bunch of appetizers and had more drinks. Walked by a cinema and had the brilliant idea of watching a movie called Splice. Terrible Scifi movie, even when drunk.
Conference for the next 3 days. Not that it's all that fun but it'll be too long to continue. I'll come back to that later.
There were so many good things about this trip. First day was OC. The driver from LAX to Huntington was funny and chatty. Upon arriving to Huntington I had my first experience at living in a motel. Despite comforting reviews, I never like the idea of motels, somehow they felt sketchy. Anyway, this one looks decent, but smells sketchy. Ran by a Korean lady who was very worried about me using the phone for long distance calling. I spent the first afternoon at Huntington Beach. I forgot how much I miss the beach. It's a happy place, children playing, running and screaming in joy. Adults flying kites or just relaxing. Waves. Clear blue sky. Sea breeze. Bikinis, board shorts, wet suits, surf boards and bikes. (Yes, hot bods everywhere.) Shops by the pier. People every where. Reminds me of our beach vacations when I was a child.
Return to the motel in the evening to meet up with the newly wedded KH for dinner. It's been 10 years since we last saw each other. Met his wife and found out we actually went to the same elementary school. It quickly became an effort to find out if we actually knew each other back then. No conclusions, but it was fun to share stories of haunted washrooms and other things that I didn't know I remember. I had a great time.
The next day I walked by the market and bought some plums+mangoes. Took the bus to the beach again and rented a bike. Learned how to ride these beach cruiser bikes that has reverse pedaling as brakes - I found out when I hit the curb, but no one has to know that. High handles too, like a Harley but not motorized and with basket in front. Went from Huntington to Newport Beach and back. I'm starting to believe that biking might be the love of my life. Then the boys picked me up in a convertible Mustang at the motel to head down to Long Beach for our conference. It was an interesting sight, and quite a contrast. They arrived a day before me and was surfing/partying/living it the California way in Newport. Riding down the road with clubs along the way and wind in our hair, I felt bad they picked up a homeless person in their backseat. Anywho, upon arriving at the hotel this homeless person quickly transformed into a hipster by association. Both our rooms were on the top floor of the hotel, supposedly because someone's dad is a platinum member of whatever it was. We celebrated with drinks, got hungry and went out for happy hour. Ate a whole bunch of appetizers and had more drinks. Walked by a cinema and had the brilliant idea of watching a movie called Splice. Terrible Scifi movie, even when drunk.
Conference for the next 3 days. Not that it's all that fun but it'll be too long to continue. I'll come back to that later.
Comments