Sometimes your cultural background forbids you from doing certain things, and you might be quite surprised by how much hold it has on you, even when you know it is absolutely justified. For example, it would have been perfectly correct for me to call my brother an asshole today. I am not saying everyone is like this, but a lot of guys I know, even those from work, which I considered relatively self conscious, tend to think too much of themselves sometimes. Some sort of an ego thing, I don't know, it is especially obvious when you watch them interact with each other. It is just marginally annoying, when they are your friends, because they can't impose that on you. It is a royal pain in the ass when your elder brother acts as if he already has all the answers, and you really should just do whatever he tells you. Anything else is really.. well, stupid. Now, I love him dearly, and will always appreciate his input, but even someone with all the best intentions can make the mistake of being insensitive and hurtful sometimes. It is, however, problematic when they have too much ego to apologize after you told them how you feel. Why? Because that is what you are suppose to do when you hurt someone you care about. When you don't do that, the natural assumption is that you either don't care enough, or don't think you were wrong. Either one will not work well with the person who told you what you did, because everyone likes to be care of and not hurt. Make sense? Ok, again, I'm not saying anyone, but a lot of guys I know, would at this point be rolling their eyes and said, "Oh, right, 'feelings'." Well, first of all, everyone has it, most guys just have it invested in that one particular body part. (I'm sure no guy has problems comprehending it if you tell them IT looks like a string of spaghetti, overly cooked. Don't be upset, it's not a big deal.... make a little more sense now?)
Anyways, I am going way off topic, and it is a little weird making my point using that when I'm talking about my brother. What I am trying to say is, someone was an asshole today, and for a split of a second, I really wish I wasn't brought up thinking I have to respect my elders so I can say it out loud, because that is what I would do if any of my friends behave the same way with me. If it is a guy friend I might even tell him what he can do to himself. In a sense, I don't have to respect you if you don't respect me.. and because I'm not a robot, I can get carried away and just use simple vocabulary to convey anger. Not that calmly expressing my resentment made any difference in the first place anyway. I don't understand the difficulty of trying to be a little more considerate - you don't only have to do that to non family members.
Anyways, I am going way off topic, and it is a little weird making my point using that when I'm talking about my brother. What I am trying to say is, someone was an asshole today, and for a split of a second, I really wish I wasn't brought up thinking I have to respect my elders so I can say it out loud, because that is what I would do if any of my friends behave the same way with me. If it is a guy friend I might even tell him what he can do to himself. In a sense, I don't have to respect you if you don't respect me.. and because I'm not a robot, I can get carried away and just use simple vocabulary to convey anger. Not that calmly expressing my resentment made any difference in the first place anyway. I don't understand the difficulty of trying to be a little more considerate - you don't only have to do that to non family members.
Comments