Today is worth a post, just coz.
Anyways, as part of my plan of not being home unless absolultely necessary, I decided to have dinner at HUB. I used to live there for my undergrad years. It's an interesting building, the main level consists of shops, mainly food stores. The two levels above and below are apartment style residences. So it's like living in a mall.. we used to get food here often during exam times and breaks in undergrad. The last time I was here was prob a year ago for passport photos, for some reason I don't go back there anymore.
It's funny how your sense of smell can remind you of so many things. The first thing I smell after I walked into the mall was Edo, brought me right back to the first time I walked into the mall. It was after the first day of orientation, I thought that was the nicest smelling thing in town. I bought a box of sukiyaki beef for my bro who was staying at Kenny's. Dad told him to escort me here. That was about 8 years ago.
A few shops down I saw Cookies By George. It used to be by the end of the mall, obviously it moved. I remember the smell of cookies when we used to line up to get coffee. During finals we'd do that after dinner, before heading back to the library.
Then there's Hoho, the only chinese food place on campus. I remember eating chicken balls for the first and last time within the first week I was in Edmonton. Since then I've learned to only order food of the menu, the rest are for angmos. I lived above Hoho in my second year when I moved into HUB. The guys used to cruise for chinese girls from my apartment windows while sitting in my living room. New York Fries is right next to Hoho. We used to run over here to get fries for long seminar sessions. Other ppl in the lecture hall must have hated us.
I've been boycotting Hoho since grad school, as their prices continue to hike up every semester. Today I walked by and saw the usual long line up made up of hungry looking young undergrads. Everything seemed to be the same, except the HK couple behind the counter looked older.
I ended up having Edo for dinner. Sukiyaki beef costs 2 bucks more now than 8 years ago. A friend used to tell me that she wanted to go back to being 16. I asked why 16?She told me it's a age young enough that mistakes haven't been made. I don't know if there's anything I would have done differently... but I can think of a few things that I'd have preferred to stay the same.
Anyways, as part of my plan of not being home unless absolultely necessary, I decided to have dinner at HUB. I used to live there for my undergrad years. It's an interesting building, the main level consists of shops, mainly food stores. The two levels above and below are apartment style residences. So it's like living in a mall.. we used to get food here often during exam times and breaks in undergrad. The last time I was here was prob a year ago for passport photos, for some reason I don't go back there anymore.
It's funny how your sense of smell can remind you of so many things. The first thing I smell after I walked into the mall was Edo, brought me right back to the first time I walked into the mall. It was after the first day of orientation, I thought that was the nicest smelling thing in town. I bought a box of sukiyaki beef for my bro who was staying at Kenny's. Dad told him to escort me here. That was about 8 years ago.
A few shops down I saw Cookies By George. It used to be by the end of the mall, obviously it moved. I remember the smell of cookies when we used to line up to get coffee. During finals we'd do that after dinner, before heading back to the library.
Then there's Hoho, the only chinese food place on campus. I remember eating chicken balls for the first and last time within the first week I was in Edmonton. Since then I've learned to only order food of the menu, the rest are for angmos. I lived above Hoho in my second year when I moved into HUB. The guys used to cruise for chinese girls from my apartment windows while sitting in my living room. New York Fries is right next to Hoho. We used to run over here to get fries for long seminar sessions. Other ppl in the lecture hall must have hated us.
I've been boycotting Hoho since grad school, as their prices continue to hike up every semester. Today I walked by and saw the usual long line up made up of hungry looking young undergrads. Everything seemed to be the same, except the HK couple behind the counter looked older.
I ended up having Edo for dinner. Sukiyaki beef costs 2 bucks more now than 8 years ago. A friend used to tell me that she wanted to go back to being 16. I asked why 16?She told me it's a age young enough that mistakes haven't been made. I don't know if there's anything I would have done differently... but I can think of a few things that I'd have preferred to stay the same.
Comments