Pffft. Vista sucks. I had it on my 3 month old laptop and it crashed after a critical security update. Messed around with it for a day with start up programs and finally called tech support at toshiba. Since it actually works in safe mode, I asked if it's just a driver issue. After assuring me that it's definitely not the toshiba drivers that are at fault, the guy told me to just do a complete recovery, since some registry files are probably deleted permanently after an update, which btw usually cause more harm than good.

Me: "So you're telling me that vista screwed up vista... "
Guy: "Well... we only deal with the hardware..."
Me: "Ok... what is toshiba's recomendation with regards to this? Should I not update it after I reinstall vista?"
Guy:"Well... no... it's very hard to pin point what exactly caused the crash.. so no, you should not do that... we'd recomend a complete recovery at this point. "

And I might be talking to a robot and not know about it. Or a lawyer. Not in a mood of being nasty, I said thanks and hung up. Maybe the key to the longevity of my desktop's win2k was the fact that I can't update it... due to.. erm.. limitations.

Reminded me of this guy I used to go to engineering school with. He's one of those pretty laid back guys whom you can't have a serious conversation with because he'd either be making jokes, or denying everything you said for the fun of it. I was rather surprised one day when he expressed his views on computer programmers. He said, with absolute conviction,"I despise them. They make a living by selling you something that they know is not completely debugged, and make you agree to have them not liable for it. They make this software and all they have to do is tell you they know it's faulty, buy it at your own risk. It's ridiculous. Engineers have to sign and make sure they are reponsible for anything they designed and approved. They are unethical to say the least. "

I remember thinking that well... a computer crashing is not nearly as bad as a bridge crashing... but I was too busy trying not to laugh. Well.. I'm not laughing today, though I still think it was a funny sight.

Comments

Qing aka 莉晴 said…
m not using vista as i heard many -ve comments fr ppl. m not updating my winxp, due to some.. limitations too :P ya ths com programmers r so unethical. no wonder ppl throw pies on b.g.'s face.
507 said…
Yeah, mine came preinstalled. I kept it because it was pretty... another example of why you shouldn't trust pretty stuff...

Popular posts from this blog