Was browsing through the pics on facebook from the ski trip and saw the pics with the cake. I know I said I don't like surprises, which I don't, but it barely counts with them coz they suck at surprises. Looking at the pics I can't help thinking that the boys were cute for what they did. A couple of years ago they planned one for me on a surgery day, so they had to wait till 5pm. By that time random ppl on the floor already wished me happy bday, when asked how did they found out (this is pre facebook era), one guy panicked and said, "Oh.. I screwed up, forget what I just said."

This time the smoke detector went off in the hotel room when I was in the shower. I rushed out of the washroom and one of the guys rushed right up to the door to greet me, "Yay! Shower!"
"The alarm just went off ... is someone smoking in the room?... Oh, nvm, it's over now, you can shower. "
"Huh? Why? I don't want to shower."
"What? You just said, 'yay shower'..."
Just then FDR came out of the room, looking defeated/embarassed while carrying a cake with unlit candles, "It's obviously not going to work..." I stared at him and Dirk decided to start singing, abruptly yet joyfully (I remember thinking he looks like he's singing Xmas carols). Everyone (all three guys) awkwardly chimed in and it took me a second to realize what's going on before cracking up. It wasn't even the right day, I told them. They say they knew, just that they worry about not finishing the cake before the end of the trip, and it doesn't make sense to bring it back. They then presented the other important surprise, my favourite drink - tequila. Only they bought the mango flavoured version because one of the guys didn't like the original, non flavoured (good) kind that I drink. We ended up mixing it and lighting it on fire, a lot.

So I am reconsidering my statement about surprises. When it's a clumsily excuted surprise that is minimally about me, it can be fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog