Last post was only about 2 weeks ago. Gee, it felt like months ago. I don't even remember why I wrote that. Must have been high or something (the guys are always using super glue in the lab for almost everything).

Anyways, I've been to US and back. Last week was spent mostly in Philly for the conference, then I took an extra day off to visit the big apple. Bus ride was 2hours, and I was unconscious for the whole ride. Conferences are always the same old story: starts too early, ends too late. I was pretty sleep deprived by the end of it, which works out well because a guy was snoring really loud in the hostel room I was staying in New York. The hostel was about 2 blocks from time square, despite looking pretty shady on the outside, the bed was fantastic for hostel standard. They actually have real mattress! As expected, it is a very busy city and everyone wears black. Personally I like Philadelphia better, but it could just be that I was staying right at downtown when I was there. Most of the time in Philly was spent listening/sleeping to talks, but we actually get 1/2 day off to visit the History district, where you can see Liberty bell, independence hall and all that jazz. I enjoyed the city more when I was just walking aroud at night after the meetings. During the day you can see lots of drawings on the building wall, but at night they project drawings on certain buildings as well. Good thing about an older city is that there's always interesting architecture. Despite the fact that I know nothing about art/architecture, I still like looking at them.

A lot of ppl went shopping while in Philly. I managed to pick up a tie for my bro while my colleague, Rob, went to shop for a tie for his presentation the next day. And I bought a camera for myself. I think that concludes my shopping spree. I found time to visit the arts museum before I leave for NY, because everyone said it is a must. Yeah, pictures are pretty.

It was raining the whole day I was in NY, but I managed to walk on Brooklyn bridge, spent 1/2 day at the natural history museum and took the ferry to Staten Island, where you can see downtown Manhattan and Statue of Liberty in a distance. I'm too cheap to take the ferry to Statue of Liberty. I found out this is a good alternative from a "Cheap guide to NY" book while I was wandering in a bookstore in Philly. Obviously I didn't buy that book... I am THAT cheap... I have no idea why I find it interesting to visit a bookstore while I was there, I probably just really like walking on the streets. That or I should get out of the lab more often. Anyways, I met up with Noella, an undergrad friend who is now working for Microsoft in NY, had good Korean food and walk around more on the streets before I went back to the hostel and pack my bags.

Flight back to Edmonton was absolutely terrible. Of all days I had to travel on a day when Air Canada's computer system broke down. All flights were delayed and it was a mess. In conclusion, I got back 4 hours later than scheduled, and that was only because I ran through security like a mad person during connection. Luggage was delayed, and then delayed luggage delivery the next day was delayed. So... moral of the story, don't fly AC if you can. Alternatively if you find a job with AC, it should be a good life.

Pictures might or might not come soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog