Chinese opera

I went for chinese opera on Sunday night, the Beijing kind. The tickets cost me 40 dollars, which was the main reason why I did not buy it until 2 days before the play, when I found out an English postdoc on our floor was going. I just thought if the English man was going then the token chinese of our end of the hall way (yours truly) has no reason to not be there. Plus, the Spanish postdoc wouldn't mind going with me just for the cultural experience. She was rather prepared to not enjoy it, after I showed her some random clips of chinese operas on youtube. The Brazilian and his Mexican girlfriend were gonna join me when I first suggested it months ago, but they backed out after I showed him the clips. Then there was a plan to go skiing instead with the gang last weekend, only the Quebecoir decided that he would attend a conference afterall. And the Belgian postdoc, who is also the designated driver, decided that he'd wait another week so he'd have his ski buddy with him. By this time you might realize that this doesn't really make sense. It's alright, I was just trying to see if it was possible to mention all my friends with just referring to their place of origin. Experiment done.

Seriously though, I was rather curious when I saw the poster for the opera. I've never been to one before. I've watch bits and pieces on tv, I could recognize the high pitch singing and the painted face, but I've never experience one before. I don't remember if we have this back home, but as a kid I was repulsed by the loud music and the singing. I sometimes think it's because I hang out with ppl who look nothing like me these days that I start craving my own culture. Anyways, it was "The tales of the white snake spirit". It was great because in the past I've mentioned stories of fox spirits seducing scholars to my spanish friend, so she would have less trouble understanding how animal spirits can obtained super powers and transform into human form by meditating for hundred years. It's good for me coz I've never really read the original version. I read the version where green snake is suppose to seduce the husband and the monk. And the monk is suppose to be young and handsome and gay, that's why he told the guy to get rid of his wife. Hmm. That was a good story.

Nonsense aside, I was glad that I went for it. It's felt good to experience something you've always sort of know about, but not quite. The fighting scenes are my favourite, I like how they fight by throwing and kicking arrows around. While I was watching I thought if movies are like that there'd be no violence on tv. I like ppl jumping over a big waving flag, and how the whole audience gasped and clapped when one guy almost missed. The sound effect was rather cute too, instead of metal clashing sounds you usually have for sword fights, they used the gong. I even like the acting. The only thing I can't get used to is the singing. I was cringing a lot towards the end, my ears hurt. Despite the fact that I developed a headache probably equivalent to a hang over after 40 dollars worth of alcohol(I still have it the next day), it was good. I'll definitely go again if someone would buy me a ticket.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog