Dad asked if this thing called facebook is replacing emails. I said no, not completely, but it sure is popular.
I wish I have more ppl writing me emails (an abrupt switch, I realize, but this is not suppose to be art). Even if they are just one liners... at least I know they were saying it to me. I know you can do that too when you write on someone's wall, but personally, I like it better when it's private... because it's specific, it has the element of saying, "I wanted to tell you this." instead of "I needed to tell someone this, whoever you are." Even private messages from fb feels different than an email.
I can understand the fun in sharing, and I definitely found long lost friends that I wouldn't have found if it weren't for FB. I just felt over-shared most of the time, if that makes sense. FB makes me feel like I am constantly bombarded with public announcements of all sorts - as much as I care, it can be too much. It's like we are constantly hanging out as a group, you and your friends and your friend's friends, 24/7. What annoys me the most is that I kept signing in trying to look for something I might want to know and ended up feeling... needy, like an obsessed partner needing to know all of your most trivial thoughts and actions.
Anywho. Maybe I am out of date, but emails are just nice to receive. Like letters in the good old times, with envelopes and all. It's like opening a present. Sometimes the excitement begins when you recognize the familiar hand writing on the envelope and just can't wait to read it. At least I know not to wish for those anymore.
I wish I have more ppl writing me emails (an abrupt switch, I realize, but this is not suppose to be art). Even if they are just one liners... at least I know they were saying it to me. I know you can do that too when you write on someone's wall, but personally, I like it better when it's private... because it's specific, it has the element of saying, "I wanted to tell you this." instead of "I needed to tell someone this, whoever you are." Even private messages from fb feels different than an email.
I can understand the fun in sharing, and I definitely found long lost friends that I wouldn't have found if it weren't for FB. I just felt over-shared most of the time, if that makes sense. FB makes me feel like I am constantly bombarded with public announcements of all sorts - as much as I care, it can be too much. It's like we are constantly hanging out as a group, you and your friends and your friend's friends, 24/7. What annoys me the most is that I kept signing in trying to look for something I might want to know and ended up feeling... needy, like an obsessed partner needing to know all of your most trivial thoughts and actions.
Anywho. Maybe I am out of date, but emails are just nice to receive. Like letters in the good old times, with envelopes and all. It's like opening a present. Sometimes the excitement begins when you recognize the familiar hand writing on the envelope and just can't wait to read it. At least I know not to wish for those anymore.
Comments