Woohoo. Woke up in the morning on a Sunday today. That's right, cheer for me, I don't feel very accomplished these days. But today was fun, despite the fact that I woke up grumpily, because I only slept for 3 hours... I was up so I can bike with my lab mate to this park for our walk for ovarian cancer. Three of us started a lab team last week when someone saw a flyer posted on the bulletin board. Since our boss's wife has been battling with ovarian cancer, we decided it would be nice. We didn't know our boss has his own team until 2 days ago. We raised 1K, which was only about 1/2 of what the boss raised by himself, but we are still pretty happy considering we have poor friends and only one week.

It was at an off leash dog park and the weather was nice, so lots of happy dogs and kids running around. We met up with my boss's team and we all walked together. As I was chatting with him, I found out that things are worse than I thought. Maybe another year, he said, we are doing this for women in the future.

I thought about my aunt. She died of ovarian cancer shortly after I started grad school, exactly 5 years ago today. The cascade of unpleasant events that happened afterward often prevented me from thinking about her... but I remember how I came home from the movies with missed calls from my parents and a text from my cousin later, sometime passed midnight. I don't think she ever had the amount of support my boss's wife have - all the wrong focus when she was sick. I didn't do much for her back then. In some way I feel a little bit better today. If we all try hard enough, perhaps one day we will get there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog